What are some common signs of arthritis?
Osteoarthritis is characterized by the following traits:
- Joint pain and stiffness.
- Swelling of the joints.
- Grinding or crunching sound with joint movement.
- Loss of joint function.
This is not a complete list of all possible symptoms.
If you think you may be experiencing signs of arthritis, consult your doctor. You can start protecting your joints by doing any of the following:
- Lose weight if you are overweight.
- Exercise daily – this may include aquatic, land-based resistance, aerobic, strengthened, and range of motion exercises.
- Avoid repetitive motions and pacing of activities.
- Adjust furniture to avoid problematic motions.
- Use appropriate splints, braces, insoles, footwear or walking aids if needed.